The first thing to try is the Granita in Sicily. You are sure to be able to recognize a true granita? Here are 5 things you did not know:
- His recipe was born during the Arab rule in Sicily. At the time the colonists were preparing their traditional drink: the sherbet that is a fruit juice flavored with rose water and then frozen using snow Etna packed in special neviere in the natural caves.
- The granita do not drink but you eat and is not exposed in strange transparent machinery, the true granita is hidden in the cockpit. It is not crushed ice, a good granita must not perceive the ice crystals.
- Tastes recognized by Sicilian pastry laboratories are: almond, coffee, chocolate, lemon, strawberry, peach, pistachio and mulberry trees. Avoid different tastes because they are not original and above all a Siciliano did not need to put placards that read: “Typical Sicilian Granita”.
- The brioche has to be the classic with the “Tuppo” best when still warm. The Tuppo o coppola takes to make the shoe on the bottom of the glass. In some suburban bar it is also served bread used in antiquity.
- The term “half with cream” if you do not specify the taste refers only to the coffee granita with whipped cream. The cream should be sweetened with a touch of vanilla (non dairy creamer) and can be eaten in two ways: first of slush along with Tuppo or mix it with crushed ice.